Market Photo Workshop in partnership with the British Council (Connect ZA) invites photographers, artists, independent curators, arts organisations, institutions and galleries to submit project proposals to form part of the Joburg Photo Umbrella.
The aim of the open call for proposals is to create a new public platform for photography in Johannesburg and further engage a broader audience outside of the already established art and photography community.
What we are looking for:
The Joburg Photo Umbrella seeks photo-based project proposals for exhibitions and interventions that will present the work of photographers and artists who work with lens-based media. Proposed outcomes may take various forms, from pop-up exhibitions, participatory projects, talks, workshops, open studios, photo walks, publications, screenings and online projects.
Selected projects will form part of the Joburg Photo Umbrella programme and will be promoted on multiple platforms – included on a website, in a printed publication – and to the press and public.
• 10 projects will be selected through an open call and targeted solicitation process.
• Representatives from Market Photo Workshop, Photoworks and the British Council will make selections and will be advised by an external selection panel.
What we provide
• R15 000 – R20 000 per call for the production or manifestation of a photographic project.
• Marketing and promotion of project on several platforms
1. Details of organisation or individuals applying
2. Project description including objectives (max 500 words)
3. Proposed project space/venue – safety and accessibility to visitors
4. Project schedule with milestones and implementation
5. Project budget and quotations where applicable
6. Declaration of additional funding and sources
7. Curriculum Vitae of coordinator
8. Two reference letters from an arts organization or community leader, with contact details.
9. Examples of previous works (optional)
Monday, 11 August 2014
We experience high traffic and occasional technical difficulties immediately before the deadline. To avoid this, please submit your application early.
For queries or more information, contact Tiffany Mentoor
Include the subject line: “Joburg Photo Umbrella Open Call”
(011) 834 1444
About the Joburg Photo Umbrella
The Joburg Photo Umbrella is an initiative of the Market Photo Workshop, the British Council (Connect ZA) and the Brighton Photo Biennial. Within this collaboration, a major photography commission has be issued between a South African and a British Photographer; bodies of work produced out of this commission would then be installed and displayed at the Mary Fitzgerald Square, Newtown, for public access. The opening of this exhibition is scheduled for 8/9 November 2014.